Kultūros virenės istorija

The “Kultūros virenė“ building has historically been called the White or Burning House. It is one of several buildings belonging to Kuliai St. for the building complex of Bishop Stanislaus Church. This ensemble of buildings is included in the register of immovable cultural values of the Department of Cultural Heritage.

The architect of the building is priest Antanas Rimkevičius, who was brought from Varnii to Kulius, in 1780. designed the house according to Jesuit building traditions.

At that time, the servants of the church lived in the building, the master\'s workshop was on the west side, and the spinning mill was on the east side. A parsonage kitchen was installed in the center of the house, and spacious cellars suitable for storing products were dug underground. Due to the diverse purpose of the cellars and the extraordinary thickness of the walls, the building has long been arousing the imagination of locals and visitors alike.

No combustible materials were used in the construction of this building: tile roof, vaulted roofs of rafters, brick and stone masonry. Above the entrance to the house, the Latin inscription “Haec domus ardere nescia“ - “this house knows no burning“ - speaks of the uniqueness of the building.

Photo gallery

Skip to content